Friday, September 4, 2015

DAY FOUR: Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month - HOPE

Overall, my mom has had a great run in her battle against Ovarian Cancer and has beaten a lot of odds in the survival rate. I think I can say with some certainty that her oncologist has called her a success story.

I can say that some of that success is attributed to the great care she has received from her oncologist and the staff and nurses at the Trinity Cancer Center in Moline. The University of Iowa Hospital surgeons also played a key role in removing her type of cancer as it was not a formed tumor. Mom's cancer spread through her abdomen and lymph nodes like a spiderweb with very fine threads. It was hard to remove but I know the surgeon was thorough and picked through her innards with a fine tooth comb. I could not have asked for better doctors and nurses to care for my mom.

The thing that has made the most difference are the people who have kept mom in their positive thoughts and prayers each and every day. I know that you can't scientifically quantify all of that but it has made all of the difference in the world and has given mom all the hope she needs to continue the fight. And she will always have to fight the cancer, but it is exhausting. Not only does cancer eat away at her body, so does the chemo. Even though she is on a "summer break" right now, mom will have to start another round at some point... that is just the way it is. But she has a lot of hope and the love and prayers of family and friends. Thank you for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment