Thursday, November 11, 2021

NOCC Team TEAL for the NYC Marathon

Holly Sparkman


This year I deferred my Chicago Marathon app to 2022 and joined the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition Team Teal Charity to run the TCS New York City Marathon! My fundraising page >>

The event was last Sunday, November 7 - and overall the team raised $315,000 for ovarian cancer research, education and awareness! I was incredibly proud to be among such amazing people who each had a story behind their motivation to raise money for the cause. We even had an oncologist and an ovarian cancer survivor on the team. That speaks volumes about how important this cause is to everyone. 

Running the New York Marathon was an experience in itself - ! To be honest I struggled a bit with this one...the late start for my wave (10:30 a.m.) and having to take an early shuttle to Staten Island and wait 4 four hours threw me off of my training routine. I still managed to crank out the miles. Cancer is tough, and I admire each and every person who has had to battle with cancer. That's what I kept thinking as I ran those - if my mom and cousin Heather and cousin Demara (and many friends) can go through chemo, then I can run 26.2 miles and deal with a little discomfort. 



NOCC Team TEAL 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment