Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Chicago Marathon

The Chicago Marathon last Sunday was a success! I completed the 26.2 mile course in 4 hours and 38 minutes. It was a rather hot day for October, but I was able to make it through just fine.

Unfortunately, I didn't hit my goal of $1,000 for the American Cancer Society - but I came close. Overall, our Team DetermiNation has raised $200,000 for the ACS since they formed, and to me that is a pretty big deal! The amount of time and dedication people have put into the venture is very commendable, and I am a firm believer that we can accomplish a lot and speak volumes when we pool our money and resources together.

And I am thankful that I have a lot of friends and family who supported me on this venture. The training was a lot of work, but I was prepared and confident to go the distance.

I feel blessed that I can run and that I am healthy. I am thankful that mom's oncologist report last week showed that her CA125 count WENT DOWN even more and is now at 4 - ! That is truly a blessing! I want to always remember to be thankful and not take health for granted, because in turn we have to be strong for those who are struggling.

Cancer is tough, and I admire each and every person who has to have a battle with cancer, and that's what I kept thinking as I was running the Chicago Marathon on Sunday - if my mom and cousin Heather and cousin Demara (and many friends) can go through chemo, then I can run 26.2 miles.

Andrea, Kristin and myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment